The history of our Shopping street is old: it flourished as the starting point of the 53 stations of Tokaido, and it bears traces of patriots who wandered here during the Bakumatsu (end of shogunate) era, such as the relics of the Ikedaya riot.
As a character of the locality, inns and souvenir stores have developed for a long time. However in time a couple of inns have disappeared, and the number of souvenir stores has also been decreasing in time. We have been endeavoring for to the revival of our 200-meter long shopping street as the "Entrance to the old capital", where restaurants line together with commodity stores and tenant buildings.
Since the building of our shopping street in 1957, yearly events have been organized, as we strived to attract here the route of the "Jidai Matsuri" –which had been temporarily discontinued -- and built the street lighting that became popular by its retro style in 1988.
We further changed the allure of our street to the change of time by paving it with granite stone and by setting in place the statues of Mr.Yaji and Mr.Kita on the west end of Sanjo-ohashi Bridge, as symbols of the starting point of Tokaido route by March 1994.
Moreover, starting with autumn 2003 we have been focusing on people who engraved pages of history during Bakumatsu era by holding the "Ikedaya Riot Martyr Memorial Service" and other events linked to the Shinsen-gumi.
We established within our shopping street an AED unit working 24 hours a day in order to promote safe and secure urban development, and have been monitoring the environment for crime prevention by setting in place 14 surveillance cameras within our district. All the stores adhering to our union have been striving to create a urban district pleasant to stroll in as a shopping space for all visitors of our shopping street.